Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday News Roundup

I've read a few great articles this week that I'd like to share with you:

Josh Goodman has this reminder about the lessons that the Boy Scouts are teaching the male youth of America.

This article about surrogacy and whether or not the women who choose to be surrogates are really entering into contracts by choice is thought provoking. I know through our interaction with our surrogate, that the decision to enter into surrogacy was her own and it received full support from her immediate family.

Chronicles of a Babywise Mom has a review of a book that I've been meaning to review but haven't found the time. I'll only add that I found Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg to be an excellent read and it has been immensely helpful in parenting our twins.

Another big expose in an Indian newspaper about surrogacy. In my experience, our surrogate was not impoverished. Poverty in India is another story all together.

Meanwhile, Chad and I have been listening to the news this morning about the shooting in Aurora, Colorado. We are saddened by the events, and especially heartbroken that someone would perpetrate violence on a victim as young as three months old. We are keeping the community of Aurora in our thoughts.

Peace!

Douglas 

5 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing all your links :) makes for an interesting read. I do wish i would come across more articles in the press that showed the postives of surrogacy, not only for the surrogate but for the parents, so many reporters want to get the scoop, portray the drama. What happend to telling a happy ending? Hope you guys are all having a fab time away, the boys look amazing, growing up fast x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so much I gain so much insight from your articles you find. Hope you're all well. Peace to you all also x Sr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will definitely check out the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Douglas and Chad,

    Regarding the comment by Gee above about getting more positive articles about surrogacy out there - we'd love to have you guys guest post on It's Conceivable. If you're interested, please shoot me an email keash(at)itsconceivablenow.com. We'd love to add your voice to the stories we've been collecting on the site!

    Best,

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other than the review, these articles are most disturbing (though I really loved Goodman's take on it.)

    I think I will have to post a public open letter to The Hindu in particular as that article was extremely shoddy on several accounts.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete