Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Re-Culturing & The American Way

One would think that after three years in India nothing would shock me; however everyday I am reminded that culturally, I am very different than everyone around me. From the urgency with which I respond to a problem, to the way I drink from a bottle, everything is different. Even though we only leave India for two months each year there is still a culture shock upon returning. It has taken a couple of weeks, but I think I am getting back into the groove.

Yesterday, I started working out again. I had been putting it off for far too long, and consequently I am in the worse shape I have been in since my late night runs to the drive thru in college. Ironically, or congruently rather,my dietary habits while on summer break in America were surprisingly similar to those of a college student. Don't tell anyone, but I gained ten pounds in seven weeks. So operation "be a hot dad" is in full swing.

We finally got the big flat screen TV that I wanted. It was a top priority since we moved as our current one looked silly. That being said, we don't watch all that much TV. We have about 150 stations, and only 25 of those are in English; however, I expect the endless reruns of CSI, and McGyver will all become much more exciting to watch on 37 inches of LCD.

In baby news, we have nothing to report other than everything is quiet, growing, and healthy. We have an ultrasound next week and should know more then. We purchased a washing machine for inside our house. I know this is crazy, but we didn't hire a dhobi to wash our clothes... we are diversifying our housekeeper's skills and this way we don't have so many people to keep track of.

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment